[CXC]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Poetic Justice.

+4
cmertb
No Comment
FAbian101
Ravona
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Poetic Justice. Empty Poetic Justice. Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Ravona

Ravona
Admin
Admin

http://torrentfreak.com/leaked-emails-reveal-profits-of-anti-piracy-cash-scheme-100926/

I've been pretty much grinning non-stop ever since I read this. Very Happy

2Poetic Justice. Empty Re: Poetic Justice. Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:50 pm

FAbian101

FAbian101
Staff
Staff

You're evil~

3Poetic Justice. Empty Re: Poetic Justice. Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:51 pm

No Comment

No Comment

haha that is pretty funny

http://www.rom.ac/

4Poetic Justice. Empty Re: Poetic Justice. Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:31 pm

cmertb

cmertb
Admin
Admin

Oh well, I'm sure some other greedy law firm will take their place. Until everyone starts using PerfectDark or similar software.

A more interesting question is, did they try to go after people who didn't pay up?

5Poetic Justice. Empty Re: Poetic Justice. Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:42 pm

darkcrescendo

darkcrescendo

Fail. hahahaha. serves them right? hahah.

6Poetic Justice. Empty Re: Poetic Justice. Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:20 am

Dass Jennir

Dass Jennir

Bastards...Surprised

A more interesting question is, did they try to go after people who didn't pay up?
Probably not since this was a illegal operation.

7Poetic Justice. Empty Re: Poetic Justice. Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:32 pm

Shunrai

Shunrai
Staff
Staff

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:43 by Anonymous Poster
Ah, schadenfreude. What a way to start the new week.

i couldn't agree with this guy more you know what they say if you cant make a buck one way there is always another. Which why you shouldn't do any illegal stuff with out protection like a vpn or something to that effect but honestly they were loosing money the main company so whats cutting in a few other people to money that you were loosing in the first place anyways? at least they where getting some back lol

8Poetic Justice. Empty Re: Poetic Justice. Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:00 pm

cmertb

cmertb
Admin
Admin

Dass Jennir wrote:Bastards...Surprised

Probably not since this was a illegal operation.

Really? I don't see anything illegal on the face of it. Weren't they representing legit copyright holders? Why can't they ask for a settlement?

Are there other facts we should to be aware of that make their scheme illegal?

9Poetic Justice. Empty Re: Poetic Justice. Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:15 pm

Ravona

Ravona
Admin
Admin

cmertb wrote:
Really? I don't see anything illegal on the face of it. Weren't they representing legit copyright holders? Why can't they ask for a settlement?

Are there other facts we should to be aware of that make their scheme illegal?

"Last month the firm was referred to a disciplinary tribunal after a long-running probe by the Solicitors Regulation Authority into its tactics in the pursuit of alleged file sharers.
The company has been criticised for sending out thousands of letters to people it suspects of downloading illegal content, demanding payment of a fine to settle the case.

Many who received the letters, which seem to have been based on the internet "IP address" – rather than the physical address – of the recipient have protested that they are innocent, and though hundreds of people are believed to have paid the fines claimed, the Guardian has not found any confirmed reports of any cases proceeding to trial, where ACS:Law's methods and evidence would have been tested."

The problem is that they're demanding money for alleged infringement with very little tangible evidence to support their claim. It also costs a lot more than the amount they demand to defend the accusation in a civil court.
It's a case of unethical behaviour on the part of a law firm rather than a legal issue (although there's now a few of those resulting from this leak), which is why the SRA has been investigating them.

10Poetic Justice. Empty Re: Poetic Justice. Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:36 pm

cmertb

cmertb
Admin
Admin

Ravona wrote:It's a case of unethical behaviour on the part of a law firm rather than a legal issue (although there's now a few of those resulting from this leak), which is why the SRA has been investigating them.
So rather than being criminally prosecuted, a few people might end up [the British equivalent of] disbarred, and the firm fined?

11Poetic Justice. Empty Re: Poetic Justice. Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:13 pm

Ravona

Ravona
Admin
Admin

cmertb wrote:
Ravona wrote:It's a case of unethical behaviour on the part of a law firm rather than a legal issue (although there's now a few of those resulting from this leak), which is why the SRA has been investigating them.
So rather than being criminally prosecuted, a few people might end up [the British equivalent of] disbarred, and the firm fined?

Well, breaching the Data Protection Act is a seperate and potentially criminal issue. Since it relates to their duty to protect confidential information (like credit card numbers) rather than their conduct as a law firm.

With the SRA thing, it depends on what the conclusion of the investigation is. But since this is the 3rd time that the head of ACS has been under investigation in the space of 8 years it could be serious.
However, the tribunal won't reach a conclusion until the end of 2011.

12Poetic Justice. Empty Re: Poetic Justice. Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:44 pm

KazeNoKanta

KazeNoKanta
Admin
Admin

I can't say that this is surprising, yet to be discovered in such a way? That's golden irony. It looks like there's a torrent link with the emails. Anyone dl it? I'm interested in what's all in there.

13Poetic Justice. Empty Re: Poetic Justice. Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:15 pm

FAbian101

FAbian101
Staff
Staff

KazeNoKanta wrote:I can't say that this is surprising, yet to be discovered in such a way? That's golden irony. It looks like there's a torrent link with the emails. Anyone dl it? I'm interested in what's all in there.

Had a sneak peak of it.

The torrent had the full address, telephone number of that dude... xD

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum